Tom Vanderputten Keith Loutzenhiser Mark Holcomb Nick Christofeno Jim Mock
- Due to the ongoing restrictions at the Middlebury Library because of Covid-19 the next meeting on Wednesday April 14, 2021 will be held at the home of Keith Loutzenhiser.
- Keith’s Address: 10475 Cottage Grove Dr., Middlebury, IN 46540
- The meeting minutes for February 10, 2021 were approved.
- Nick reported catching a brown near County Rd. 35 (Sunday 3/7) on a white/tan streamer pattern. Ian Steigmeyer fished the area at the new Corson Park today before the meeting and reported catching a 14” brown on a white clouser minnow. Tom V. also fished before today’s meeting and caught a brown at County Rd. 43 on a black woolly bugger.
- Keith Loutzenhiser submitted a verbal report for February 2021. He reported $ 28,659.79 balance summary for all accounts.
- LECTU needed to pay late fee charges on an over dated (90 days) check deposit.
- Due to health issues Brandon Rasler was unable to publish the combined Summer/Fall edition of the Newsletter. The Newsletter will be released shortly.
- The Winter/Spring edition of the Newsletter is being prepared and will also be ready shortly.
Fly Boxes from New Phase
- LECTU approved a reorder of fly boxes and Mike will place a new order.
Film Tour Fundraiser
- The deadline expired for this project before LECTU was able to submit an application. Therefore LECTU will not participate on the Film Fundraiser.
Little Elkhart River Guide
- Mike is working on a new draft, and then he and Keith will review before submitting to a printer.
- Access points to be highlighted with blow-ups of key sections.
LECTU Web-Site Manager
- Ian Steigmeyer has volunteered to assume the job of Web-Site Manager. He will contact Brandon Rasler and begin the transition.
Corson County Park (Reprinted from January 13, 2021)
- There is no new information from the County about the park, since they are waiting on a Federal Grant. As soon as there is progress Rhonda DeClaire of the Parks Dept. will contact LECTU.
- New construction of building sites, roads, and retaining pond has started next to the park land.
- When fishing this section stay back from the first house downstream from the access trail.
LECTU Annual Hats
- The next four years (2021, 2022, 2023, 2024) of the annual hats arrived and Keith has them.
Wood Duck Houses
- A local girl-scout troop made duck houses and donated them to LECTU for installation.
- Mark Holcomb reported that six houses were installed at The Meadow on Saturday February 27th. LECTU will review other sites for installation of the remaining duck houses.
Brown Trout Stocking
- Nick submitted the stocking application to the state, and LECTU is waiting for the approval.
- Nick has placed an order with Crystal Springs hatchery for 1,000 trout (13”-14”). Nick reported that since these are now two year old trout, some will be in the 15”-16” size.
- The plan will be to stock 500 at The Meadow, and 500 near the Corson County Park area. The date of the stocking is still to be determined.
- Hams will be distributed before Easter (April 4th). Nick will order the hams.
- Seven Total: 1)Oesh, 3)Schwartz, 2)Yoder, and 1)Hoover (The extra Yoder ham is for his son).
LECTU Fly Tying
- The last winter fly tying session will be Saturday March 20th. This will be 9:00am to Noon, and will be at Keith Loutzenhiser’s house.
- 100 flies were tied on Sunday February 28th. These will be donated to the TU Youth Program.
LECTU (Future Meeting Place)(reprinted from February 2021 Minutes)
- Chris Miller owns a primitive cabin (no heat, no facilities) on The Little Elkhart. This cabin is located on County Rd. 8 near County Rd. 10. Mike will speak with Chris regarding the cabin.
Summer Work Project(reprinted from February 2021 Minutes)
- Wilbur Yoder contacted Mike regarding LECTU assistance with work on his bridge crossing the Little Elkhart at The Meadow.
- LECTU will focus on this area for the summer work project. In addition, LECTU will create a rock dam downstream from the bridge.
LECTU Meeting Place
Next Meeting – Wednesday – April 14, 2021
- NOTE: Due to Library restrictions we will meet at the home of Keith Loutzenhiser. Address for Keith: 10475 Cottage Grove Dr., Middlebury, IN 46540
Tom Vanderputten – Secretary