Tom Vanderputten Keith Loutzenhiser Mike Beachy Mark Holcomb Steve Mack
Kevin Burkeen Ian Steigmeyer
- Due to the ongoing restrictions at the Middlebury Library because of Covid-19 the next meeting on Wednesday March 10, 2021 will be held at the home of Keith Loutzenhiser.
- Keith’s Address: 10475 Cottage Grove Dr., Middlebury, IN 46540
- The meeting minutes for January 13, 2021 were approved.
- Mike and Steve Mack fished last Wednesday (2/3/2021) and reported that The Little Elkhart was extremely low and no fish caught. Mike reported catching one brown on 1/27/2021.
- Steve Mack with this week with Dr. McComis and reported no fish caught.
- Keith Loutzenhiser submitted the report for January 2021. The total for all accounts is $28,776.53
- LECTU received $ 50 from Dr. Dan Burns.
- LECTU received $ 5 for a fishing guide, and $ 114 for fly boxes.
- LECTU received a Tax Form from Teacher’s Credit Union. Keith will complete and return.
- Due to health issues Brandon Rasler was unable to publish the combined Summer/Fall edition of the Newsletter. The Newsletter will be released shortly, and we wish Brandon a speedy recovery
- The preparation for the 2021 Winter Newsletter has begun. Kevin Burkeen and Tom Vanderputten will contribute articles for the newsletter.
- Mike was contacted through TU.org by David Lasser of Merrillville. David is currently a member and is interested in fishing The Little Elkhart. Mike sent him a guide and map.
Fly Boxes from New Phase
- LECTU approved a reorder of fly boxes with the LECTU Logo. Mike will reorder using the LECTU credit card.
Film Tour Fundraiser
- Steve Mack reported on the 2021 Fly Fishing Film Tour (F3T). Steve received information from Jeffrey Yates at TU National that there will be no in person venues for 2021. The F3T will be completely digital-only. LECTU can apply to F3T to sell the TV access to our members. LECTU will receive $ 2 per sale.
- Steve will contact Sanford Anthony to get this set-up.
- Steve suggested that our regular donors be recognized on the LECTU web-site. In addition, a hyper-link should be set-up so that our members can visit the donor sites as well.
Little Elkhart River Guide
- Mike will rewrite the guide with assistance from Keith. Mike and Keith will start will new draft.
- Access points to be highlighted with blow-ups of key sections.
LECTU Web-Site Manager
- Ian Steigmeyer a new member from Fort Wayne has tentatively volunteered to take over the duties of web manager for the LECTU site.
- Mike will contact Brandon and initiate a transfer of responsibility.
Corson County Park (Reprinted from January 13, 2021)
- There is no new information from the County about the park, since they are waiting on a Federal Grant. As soon as there is progress Rhonda DeClaire of the Parks Dept. will contact LECTU.
- New construction of building sites, roads, and retaining pond has started next to the park land.
- When fishing this section stay back from the first house downstream from the access trail.
LECTU Annual Hats
- Keith has hats on order for 4 years (2021,22,23,24). This will take advantage of discount pricing.
Wood Duck Houses
- A local girl scout project made duck houses and has donated them to LECTU for installation.
- LECTU will install these on trees, and free-standing posts. We will need volunteers to assist.
- LECTU will install the first of the Duck Houses at the Wilbur Yoder farm property on Saturday February 27th. All volunteers will meet at River Bend Park in Middlebury that morning 10:00am.
Brown Trout Stocking
- Nick is completing the paperwork for submittal to the State of Indiana for permission to stock brown trout in 2021
- Nick has placed an order with Crystal Springs hatchery for 1,000 trout (13”-14”).
H.A.M. Project (Reprinted from January 2021)
- The Habitat Access Management project which is giving hams to the property owners was not completed in 2020 due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- LECTU will schedule the HAM project for April 2021.
LECTU Fly Tying
- The dates for the winter tying sessions are Feb. 20, and March 20th. These are all Saturday and the time is 9:00am to Noon, all sessions will be at Keith Loutzenhiser’s house.
- The St. Joe River Valley Fly Tiers will have their annual Tie-A-Thon on Sunday Feb.28th. The event will be from 9:00am until the goal is reached.
- LECTU will donate $ 200 and 100 flies for this event. This will also be at Keith’s house.
LECTU (Future Meeting Place)
- Chris Miller owns a primitive cabin (no heat, no facilities) on The Little Elkhart. This cabin is located on County Rd. 8 near County Rd. 10. Mike will speak with Chris regarding the cabin.
Summer Work Project
- Wilbur Yoder contacted Mike regarding LECTU assistance with work on his bridge crossing the Little Elkhart at The Meadow.
- LECTU will focus on the for the summer work project. In addition, LECTU will create a rock dam downstream from the bridge.
LECTU Meeting Place
Next Meeting – Wednesday – March 10, 2021
- NOTE: Due to Library restrictions we will meet at the home of Keith Loutzenhiser. Address for Keith: 10475 Cottage Grove Dr., Middlebury, IN 46540
Tom Vanderputten – Secretary