Tom Vanderputten Keith Loutzenhiser Nick Christofeno Mike Beachy
Mark Holcomb Tom Sult Jim Mauck
- Due to the ongoing restrictions at the Middlebury Library because of Covid-19 the next meeting on Wednesday February 10, 2020 will be held at the home of Keith Loutzenhiser.
- Keith’s Address: 10475 Cottage Grove Dr., Middlebury, IN 46540
- The LECTU meetings for November and December 2020 were cancelled due to the Corona pandemic resurgence in Indiana and Elkhart County.
- The meeting minutes for October 14, 2020 were approved.
- Mike reported that he fished today (1/13/2021). He fished The Meadow and caught 3 browns with one being 17”. He was using a new streamer (Polar Bear) that he made.
- Keith Loutzenhiser submitted the report for all activity since October 2020. The total for all accounts is $ 26,968.78
- LECTU received $ 300 from Dr. Dan Burns.
- LECTU received $ 5 for a fishing guide, and $ 75 for fly boxes.
- LECTU received $ 1,500 from the McComis Foundation. Steve Mack sent a thank-you to Dr. McComis for LECTU.
- Due to health issues Brandon Rasler was unable to publish the combined Summer/Fall edition of the Newsletter. The Newsletter will be released shortly, and we wish Brandon a speedy recovery
- The preparation for the 2021 Winter Newsletter has begun.
Little Elkhart River Guide (Reprinted from September 2020)
- Mike will rewrite the guide with assistance from Keith.
- Access points to be highlighted with blow-ups of key sections.
LECTU Web-Site Manager (Reprinted from September 2020)
- The LECTU web-site is often not updated, and contains old and stale information.
- LECTU will search for someone that can take over full time management of the Web-Site.
Corson County Park
- There is no new information from the County about the park, since they are waiting on a Federal Grant. As soon as there is progress Rhonda DeClaire of the Parks Dept. will contact LECTU.
- New construction of building sites, roads, and retaining pond has started next to the park land.
- When fishing this section stay back from the first house downstream from the access trail.
River Work Project
- On October 24, 2020 Jim (Middlebury Parks), Mark & Caleb Holcomb, Tom V., and Mike B. put in 4 hours each for a total of 20 volunteer hours.
- The project was the removal of a log jam in Riverbend Park just above the bank stabilization project. LECTU cut and removed the logs and then cabled them to the bank to create a V sluice.
LECTU Annual Hats
- Keith has hats on order for 4 years (2021,22,23,24). This will take advantage of discount pricing.
Wood Duck Houses
- A local girl scout project made duck houses and has donated them to LECTU for installation.
- LECTU has designated Saturday February 27th as the day to install these along the Little Elkhart.
- LECTU will install these on trees, and free-standing posts. We will need volunteers to assist.
Brown Trout Stocking
- Nick is completing the paperwork for submittal to the State of Indiana for permission to stock brown trout in 2021
- Nick has placed a verbal order with Crystal Springs hatchery for 2,500 trout.
- The Habitat Access Management project which is giving hams to the property owners was not completed in 2020 due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- LECTU will schedule the HAM project for April 2021.
LECTU Fly Tying
- The dates for the winter tying sessions are Jan. 23, Feb. 20, and March 20th. These are all Saturday and the time is 9:00am to Noon.
- All sessions will be at Keith Loutzenhiser’s house.
- The St. Joe River Valley Fly Tiers will have their annual Tie-A-Thon on Sunday Feb.28th. The event will be from 9:00am until the goal is reached.
- LECTU will donate $ 200 and 100 flies for this event.
LECTU Meeting Place
Next Meeting – Wednesday – February 10, 2021
- NOTE: Due to Library restrictions we will meet at the home of Keith Loutzenhiser.
- Address for Keith: 10475 Cottage Grove Dr., Middlebury, IN 46540
- Since the Middlebury Parks Department is still not reserving any parks, LECTU will not schedule the outing at the normal date in May. We will monitor the situation and decide on a monthly basis.
- The 2021 Adopt-A-Trout raffle has also been postponed.
Tom Vanderputten – Secretary