Little Elkhart Chapter of Trout Unlimited
Meeting Minutes – May 13, 2020
Tom Vanderputten Keith Loutzenhiser Nick Christofeno Mike Beachy Chase Spaw
Mark Holcomb Steve Mack Jon Christofeno Wayne Andrews John Hollister Leonard Gustin
- The meeting minutes for March 11, 2020 were approved.
- There was no April meeting due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- The May meeting was held outdoors at Riverbend Park, since the library was still closed.
- Last couple of weeks the Little Elkhart has been outstanding! Blue wing olives, Caddis & Hendrickson hatches. All members present agree about the great fishing.
- Keith Loutzenhiser reported a total balance $ 29,234.87 in all accounts.
- LECTU received a $ 150 donation from Dr.Burns.
- LECTU received a few requests for the Little Elkhart River guides ($30).
- Received additional $ 370 for the Adopt-A-Trout mail-in.
- The raffle results will be submitted to the Indiana State gaming commission with explanation.
- Keith is preparing the LECTU annual financial report for TU National which is postponed until July 2020 due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- The spring newsletter has been sent.
- Jim Phillips has passed away since our March meeting. Please read the Memoriam to Jim and also the Memoriam to Charlie Ray in the spring newsletter.
- There have been 6 guide requests and numerous emails seeking information on the Little Elkhart.
Little Elkhart River Guide (reprinted from March meeting minutes)
- The river guide is outdated and contains obsolete information.
- After discussion it was decided to keep the current tri-fold format for the guide. After it is updated and new copies printed, they will be available at No Charge.
- Keith volunteered to work on a new draft for the guide.
LECTU Web-Site Manager
- The LECTU web-site is often not updated, and contains old and stale information.
- LECTU will search for someone that can take over full time management of the Web-Site.
Annual Spring Outing
- The May 2 annual outing was postponed due to the pandemic.
- After much discussion regarding a possible fall meeting a motion was made and carried that the meeting for 2020 be cancelled. We will hold our annual meeting on the first Saturday in May 2021.
- Nicole Watson (the Featured Speaker) is willing to reschedule.
Corson County Park
- Ronda DeCaire of the Elkhart County Parks stated that although the survey is complete there is an issue with the south boundary that needs to be resolved.
- The county has submitted a Land and Water grant to the Indiana Department of Natural Resources, and there will be no more crop plantings.
- The Zoning Board will meet within the next two months, and Ronda will notify LECTU.
- LECTU does not yet have permission to use the lane. Please park near the road.
NLC Youth Education
- Workgroup Skype meeting on May 6. Keith will report next meeting.
- Contacted Mike Miller about the Fisherman fence “up and over” installation.
- There have been no meetings due to Covid-19 and therefore no information.
Wood Duck Houses
- Mark Holcomb has agreed to look into this for LECTU.
- LECTU received a Thank You note from Central Indiana TU for our participation in the 3FT.
- Mike donated a fly rod for their silent auction.
- Pandemic has stifled this effort and we have postponed the annual outing until 2021.
- Steve Mack will retain the information and leads.
- Jim Lothary donated a brown trout carving.
Annual Adopt-A-Trout Raffle
- Mail back generated $ 2,085.
- Fly shows, sales at other clubs, and personal sales added to mail-in= over $4,000 without Outing!
Edward Donnelly Chapter
- Nick guided the past president of the chapter (Jeff Goad) on May 7th. They fished the new Corson County park area. Jeff was quite impressed with the fishery.
- The Edward Donnelly Chapter will donate $ 500-$1,000 to LECTU for our stream maintenance.
- The Edward Donnelly Chapter also has a list of our work days, and plan to assist for conservation hours.
No Trespassing at Well Field
- New signs have been posted below the No Trespassing Signs. The new signs: “Fishing Permitted” This will remove any ambiguity regarding the access at this section of the Catch/Release.
Summer Work Days
- The trail cutting through Hoover Woods will be either Saturday June 13th or June 27th. The decision will be made at the June meeting.
- In addition, due to many fallen trees there will need to be chainsaw work as well.
- The other work days are July 11, 25, August 8, 22, and September 12 (all days are Saturday).
Brown Trout Stocking
- LECTU stocked The Little Elkhart with 500 brown trout at the Meadow in the Catch/Release area, and another 500 brown trout in the Corson County Park area.
- The stocking was on Wednesday May 13th.
- All the trout stocked were 10”-12” with some exceeding 13”
- The Middlebury Riverfest event is August 29th. Our contact is Tom Enright.
- Keith will be the chairperson from LECTU for the event.
- The raffle was conducted at our May meeting since the outing was cancelled.
- The Grand Prize winner was Larry Beachy.
Next Meeting – Wednesday – June 10, 2020 at 7:00 PM at the Middlebury Library
Tom Vanderputten – Secretary