Little Elkhart Chapter of Trout Unlimited
Meeting Minutes – March 11, 2020
Tom Vanderputten Keith Loutzenhiser Nick Christofeno Jim Philips Mike Beachy Jim Mock
Mark Holcomb Steve Mack Court Walker Jon Christofeno Wayne Andrews Rick Weidow
- The meeting minutes for February 12, 2020 were approved.
- Nick and Jon Christofeno fished the Catch/Release section on Sunday March 8th. They reported catching 15 browns. Mike fished last week and reported catching 3 browns.
- Keith Loutzenhiser reported a total balance $ 28,615.09 in all accounts.
- LECTU received a $ 100 donation from Dr.Burns.
- LECTU received a request for a Little Elkhart River guide ($5).
- The following are the received Adopt-A-Trout ticket sales: 3FT $110, SJRVFF $150, Mail-In $250,
3 Rivers Fly Show $700.
- Keith is preparing the LECTU annual financial report for TU National which is due by April 2020.
- The spring newsletter is nearly complete. Keith will write the article on the Featured Fly.
- A Little Elkhart river guide was sent to Robert Bryant (Robert retired from NC and lives in FT.Wayne).
Little Elkhart River Guide
- The river guide is outdated and contains obsolete information.
- After discussion it was decided to keep the current tri-fold format for the guide. After it is updated and new copies printed, they will be available at No Charge.
- Keith volunteered to work on a new draft for the guide.
- The LECTU web-site is often not updated, and contains old and stale information.
- Steve Mack attended a TU National seminar last March regarding the TU Tackle Box. This is information and formatting for many chapter activities and is available to all chapters at no charge. The members agreed that an issue is available time for volunteers (in this case Brandon), especially those working full time and with family responsibilities.
- LECTU will search for someone that can take over full time management of the Web-Site.
Corson County Park
- The County is waiting on the official deed verification. In addition, they are waiting for the official grant notification which is due by July/August.
- Steve Mack and Mike will review all donated items and sort them prior to the outing.
- Any members collecting any items for the outing, please notify Steve or Mike.
- Jim Lothary is donating a Brown Trout carving.
- Steve Mack informed the members that do to tax law changes businesses are reluctant to give items as in the past, but prefer discounts on existing goods.
- Mark Holcomb will be in Charge of the Silent Auction at the outing.
Annual Adopt-A-Trout Raffle
- To Date Sales: Mail-In Tickets $1,715, Heartland Show $810, St. Joe $210, 3 Rivers Show $700, CITU Film $110.
- Total Estimated: $ 3,545.
- Additional Mail-in sales are expected, and In Person sales at the outing are expected. We are tracking towards our normal expectations.
CITU Film Tour
- The Central Indiana Trout Unlimited presented their film series on March 7th. It was a nice venue with bar, films, crowds, and silent auction. Our raffle sales were down ($110) due to the absence of our super sales person Tammy Loutzenhiser.
LECTU Streamer Class:
- Jon Uhlenhop from Chicago Fly Fishing Outfitters taught a class on Sunday March 8, 2020 .
- The class was excellent according to our members that attended. Unfortunately attendance was not what LECTU expected. This was due to a number of issues: lack of advanced advertising, the venue moved just prior to the event, and last day cancellations.
- Steve Mack indicated that LECTU will receive all left over material from Jon Uhlenhop. In addition Steve talked with the Hampton Inn manager who apologized for the cancellation. The Hampton will offer reduced rate rooms from May 1-11 for anyone attending the annual outing and staying to fish. Normal Rate: $119 LECTU Rate: $99.
Edward Donnelly Chapter
- LECTU provided the chapter with three dates for a joint work project. No Response at the time of our meeting.
No Trespassing at Well Field
- New signs have been posted below the No Trespassing Signs. The new signs: “Clear to Fish”. This will remove any ambiguity regarding the access at this section of the Catch/Release.
LECTU Fly Tying
- The winter LECTU fly tying will be Saturday March 28th at Keith Loutzenhiser’s house. Please contact Keith directly if you plan to attend.
Summer Work Days
- Mike will select the work days for this summer, and they will be announced in the Newsletter.
LECTU Outing May 2nd
- After discussion we will hold the large value items until the end of the raffle. This hopefully will keep the attendees to the end of the day.
- There will be a stream access tour again this year. The church bus is no longer available, and a van or bus needs to be arranged. Nick will contact a friend with the “Purdue” bus.
- Keith will handle the rental of the PA System (including amp and cordless microphone). Keith will also rent the chairs.
- Steve Mack will provide the screen and laptop.
- John Hollister will again be the LECTU chef.
- Court Walker will again be responsible for the water and the pop.
- LECTU is seeking a new casting instructor due to the passing of Charlie Ray. LECTU will contact Dane Schmucker to see if he is interested. It was also discussed that the fly casting course be named for Charlie Ray as a tribute to his service.
- The Hampton Inn in Middlebury will discount rates for overnight attendees. Normal Rate: $ 119, LECTU Rate: $ 99. This is in effect from May 1 – May 11.
Brown Trout Stocking
- Nick is working with the Crystal Springs Hatchery (Muskegon, MI) for the Brown Trout. LECTU is prepared to purchase 500 trout (6”-9”) and 500 trout (9”-13”).
- The delivery and stocking will be approximately Mid-May. The exact date to be determined.
- The Middlebury Riverfest event is August 29th. Our contact is Tom Enright.
- Oliver Miller will be the chairperson from LECTU for the event.
Next Meeting – Wednesday – April 8, 2020 at 7:00 PM at the Middlebury Library
Tom Vanderputten – Secretary