Tom Vanderputten Keith Loutzenhiser Nick Christofeno Jim Philips Mike Beachy Jim Mock Mark Holcomb Steve Mack Lee Troyer Leonard Gustin Tom Cripe Jon Christofeno
- The meeting minutes for January 8, 2020 were approved.
- Nick reported fishing on Sunday February 8th. He fished the Little Elkhart upstream from the Meadow, and caught +10 browns using streamers and European Nymphing.
- Keith Loutzenhiser reported a total balance of $ 27,126.87 in all accounts as of December 2019.
- Dr. Dan Burns sent a donation of $ 100.
- New Income from the sale of the Adopt-A-Trout raffle tickets as follows: $1,545 from all mail-in tickets, $60 from SJVFF, $ 810 from the 2-day Heartland Fly Fishing Show.
- LECTU received $5 for a Little Elkhart River Guide.
- LECTU received the 1099 form from Teacher’s Credit Union
- The receipt for the H.A.M. project was submitted to Keith.
- Mike reported that numerous mail-in tickets received had amounts higher than the amount of tickets purchased. This money will be considered donations and added to the Adopt-A-Trout fund.
- The winter newsletter has been sent to members, but not yet posted to the web-site.
- The spring newsletter will be short and primarily focus on the Annual Outing (May 2nd), Official Opening Day for Indiana trout fishing, and the closing of sections of the Catch/Release area due to Turkey Hunting season of the Amish landowners.
- A Little Elkhart river guide was sent to Jim Oresko (Crown Point, IN).
Corson County Park
- There were no additional updates on the progress of the new park.
- Tom Barnowski (Chicago Guy from the Tinley Park Show) will donate a custom fly rod.
- Members are encouraged to canvass local shops/businesses for free stuff for the outing. Places to canvass: Tackle Shack, Rusty Hook, Big R, North Webstee/Syracuse
- Per Steve Mack: Keough has indicated they will donate (gift to be determined), Hawkins will donate a guided trip or a discounted 2-day trip.
- Steve Mack will visit Clear H2O and Rusty Hook.
- Leonard Gustin will donate a 8.5 ft/ 4 wt rod.
- $810 from the Heartland Show, $60 from SJVFF, $ 1,545 from the mail-in tickets.
- $2,415 year-to-date sales without any individual sales.
- Outing Sales, 3RFF Show, CITU film tour still ahead. The sales at this point are at previous year expectations.
Heartland Fly Show
- Heartland Show was held in Indianapolis: January 18-19. LECTU participated for both days.
- The show was well attended on Saturday, but very sparse on Sunday. Unfortunately LECTU was set-up in the back room again which greatly diminishes our contact with the attendees.
- Mike reported talking to LECTU members from both Muncie and Lafayette. They expressed appreciation for our efforts to maintain the Little Elkhart has a sustainable fishery.
3RFF Fly Show
- The show is Saturday Feb. 15th. Mike contacted Curly (3RFF) and LECTU can set-up Saturday morning. The location will be the same as in previous years. The show starts at 9:00am.
- Keith, Tammy, Mike, Nick, and Leonard will attend.
- Mike will bring display and show set-up equipment.
CITU Film Tour
- The Central Indiana TU will present a film tour on Saturday March 7th at the Vogue Theatre in Broad Ripple.
- Mike, Nick, Steve Mack, and Mark Holcomb plan to attend.
- LECTU will not be able to set-up a presentation but will be allowed to sell Adopt-A-Trout tickets.
LECTU Streamer Class:
- Jon Uhlenhop from Chicago Fly Fishing Outfitters will teach a class on Sunday March 8, 2020 at the Hampton Inn (Middlebury, IN).
- Jon plans to tie six flies and supply the materials and thread.
- 4 Duneland guys are expected. Steve, Mike, and Nick from LECTU are also attending.
- LECTU will continue to solicit attendees from other clubs and organizations.
Edward Donnelly Chapter
- Bill Wobbekind (The Conservation Project Chairperson) of the Edward Donnelly Chapter of TU which is based in Chicago contacted LECTU regarding participating in some of the Little Elkhart river projects.
- The Edward Donnelly Chapter is willing to donate money and volunteers for a Group Conservation Project.
- LECTU will contact them and offer the following dates for the project: July, 11th, 18th, and 25th.
No Trespassing at Well Field
- Lee Troyer talked with Ron Cupp of the Middlebury Water Department. The no trespassing signs were not intended to prevent LECTU from fishing access.
- Signs will be added below the current signs “Fishing Access Permitted”.
LECTU Fly Tying
- The winter LECTU fly tying will be Saturday February 22nd at Keith Loutzenhiser’s house.
- Mike will demo a fly (Little E – Baby Leech). Flies will tied for donation fly boxes.
LECTU Outing May 2nd
- There will be a stream access tour again this year. The church bus is no longer available, and a van or bus needs to be arranged.
- Keith will handle the rental of the PA System (including amp and cordless microphone). Keith will also rent the chairs.
- Steve Mack will provide the screen and laptop.
- John Hollister will again be the LECTU chef.
LECTU Member Fishing Trip
- The $500 deposit has been made to the Lodge.
- Thursday June 18th 3:00pm check-in. Sunday June 21st 11:00am check-out.
- The Lodge is located on Spring Creek which is a tributary of the Timber Coulee. This is the Driftless Area of Wisconsin (Coon Valley).
Brown Trout Stocking
- The planning and responsibilities for the Brown Trout stocking will now be handled by Nick Christofeno instead of Lee Troyer.
- The members agreed that a spring and fall stocking as happened in 2019 should continue.
- The members present agreed to donate $200 to the ST. Joe Valley Fly Fishing club for their annual Ty-A-Thon. Mike will contact Tim Scott with this information.
Next Meeting – Wednesday – March 11, 2020 at 7:00 PM at the Middlebury Library
Tom Vanderputten – Secretary