Tom Vanderputten Keith Loutzenhiser Nick Christofeno Jim Philips Mike Beachy Jim Mock Mark Holcomb Craig Dulworth Steve Mack John Hollister Wayne Andrews
- The meeting minutes for October 9,2019 were approved.
- Mike reported that October was good for fishing the new Corson Park section of the Little Elkhart. Small streamers and hanging heavy nymphs worked the best. Mike also reported a nice 16” brown from the Well Field section on November 9th using a black/blue streamer.
- The trout stocked by LECTU in October in the new Corson Section have already dispersed, and are finding good habitat near rock formations and gravel. Mike distributed a Corson Park map to the members present, but warned everyone to be very cautious as it is still deer season.
- Nick also reported fishing the Corson Park section and catching the new stocked browns, but also caught two nice holdover browns.
- Craig Dulworth reported catching a steelhead on the Little Manistee during a fishing trip there.
- Keith Loutzenhiser reported a total balance of $ 28,947.69 in all accounts as of November 2019.
- The balance was down approximately $2,000 due to expenditures for the October brown trout stocking.
- LECTU received $ 100 from Dr. Burns.
- LECTU received $ 10 for two Little Elkhart River Guides.
- Mike received the raffle account check book from Keith in order to submit the LECTU application to the state of Indiana for the raffle license for the annual outing raffle in 2020.
- The fall newsletter was sent to the members with emails on record. The winter newsletter has been started. Mark Holcomb and Oliver Miller will be contributing articles.
- LECTU received guide requests from Chris Temple (South Bend) and Tim Whittacker (Indianapolis).
- Michael Franz (IUSB professor) is giving away a trout tank. LECTU has no interest.
- Nick Christofeno will be presenting a program at Butler University on November 12th.
Indiana Gaming Commision
- The single event raffle license application forms have been changed. All the required information is the same but in a different sequence. Mike redid all the forms and Tom V (Secretary) has signed. The forms will be submitted for approval.
Middlebury Parks Rental Agreement
- Unfortunately the Parks Department does not take applications for reservations until 2020. The May 2nd outing raffle license needed a signed reservation and signed game of chance letter in order to process the license. Mike was able to have Tom Enright of the Parks Department grant us an early reservation request.
- Parks Dept. needs check for rental, a certificate of insurance with the Town of Middlebury named as a rider, and a ST-105 form for a Not for Profit Exemption.
- Middlebury has a policy of no sales in the parks, therefore Tom Enright will provide LECTU a waiver to sell raffle tickets.
- LECTU will need to secure the tent from the Parks Department.
Outing Featured Speaker
- Nicole Watson a graduate student at Michigan State will be the speaker at the 2020 outing.
- The topic will be the reestablishment of the Artic Grayling in Michigan.
- The fliers for the outing need to be ready in January for distribution at the 2020 fly fishing shows
- Keith will contact the printer with a January 17th deadline.
- LECTU needs raffle tickets (two colors), donation request letter, and outing fliers.
- The ST-105 Tax Form is ready.
Annual Rod Raffle
- Mike contacted Nick Halle, Head of Volunteer Operations at TU. Nick supplies all the information for TU fundraising discounts.
- After discussion with the members present comparing rods/reels and various prices, LECTU decided on the following for 2020: Winston 9 ft (4pc) 5 wt Freshwater Air Rod and a Ross Reel Evolution R Platinum 5/6 wt.
Brown Trout Stocking
- On Saturday October 12th 11 LECTU volunteers stocked 500 (8”-10”) brown trout from The Seven Pines Hatchery into the Corson Park section of the Little Elkhart River. The stocking went very smoothly and both the volunteers and the trout seemed to enjoy the event.
- The cost not including the transportation fees was $ 1,539.00
Corson County Park
- There was no additional update on the progress of the new park.
Fly Show Season
- Heartland Show (Indianapolis: January 18-19). The LECTU location in the past has not been very good. However as a Non-Profit LECTU does not pay a fee. Therefore we have little chance to receive an upgrade. Nevertheless Mike will try to get a better location.
- 3RFF Show (Fort Wayne: February 15th). This has been a good show for LECTU. We have already reserved space for two tables.
- Central Indiana Trout Unlimited 3F Film Tour (Venue Changed – Indianapolis area ?: March 7th). LECTU will wait for additional information.
- Midwest Fly Fishing Expo (Warren MI: March 14, 15). Although LECTU does not display at this event members will attend.
- Tinley Park Fishing Show (Tinley Park, IL: February 9, 10)
- Chicago Fly Fishing Film Tour (Chicago, IL: April TBD)
T.U. Headwaters Youth Program
- Franklin Tate and Tara Granke sent LECTU a thank you for our $ 1,000 donation to the TU Youth Fund (scholarships, camps, youth education programs).
- They will provide up to 10 free TU youth memberships for LECTU. Mark Holcomb (2 sons), and Tom Vanderputten (2 grandsons) expressed an interest in the youth memberships. Keith will get additional information for Mark and Tom.
Winter Fly Tying Class
- Keith Loutzenhiser has offered to host fly tying sessions at his home. These will be held the second Saturday of the month.
- December 14, January 11, and February 8. Due to possible conflicts dates in March and April will be determined.
- The members decided that LECTU hats to sell would be a worthwhile venture. Craig Dulworth will investigate let the members know the details at the next meeting.
LECTU Member Fishing Trip
- The members have shown an interest for a fishing trip to the Driftless Area of Wisconsin.
- Steve Mack will investigate and have further details at the next meeting.
- We have set the weekend of June 12, 13, 14 of 2020 has the tentative trip date.
Next Meeting – Wednesday – December 11, 2019 at 7:00 PM at the Middlebury Library
Tom Vanderputten – Secretary