Loading...

(Just one moment)

Meeting Minutes – January 11, 2012

Meeting Attendees
Wayne Andrews, Mike Beachy, Don Fiwek, Leonard Gustin, Bob Hagin, Brandon Rasler, Lee Troyer, Carlisle Roose, Doyle Bloss

Meeting Minutes
The minutes from the December meeting were approved.

Fishing Reports
Mike and Leonard have been out a couple of times since the last meeting.  Leonard caught 2 browns and 1 rainbow on December 30th and 1 brown on December 31st.

Treasurer’s Report
Don reported a balance of $8,887.80.
We received a $1,000 contribution from SJRVFF.

CR 43 Project
Public notices to the landowners have been completed.  Checks are made out and we are ready to submit for the project permit.

Leonard suggested that we look at putting a fence stile on Levi Yoder’s property.

Indiana on the Fly
Our chapter’s participation in the Indiana on the Fly Expo this year was successful.  We sold more Adopt-A-Trout tickets than ever before.  We also made lots of contacts for donations to our spring outing.

Annual Spring Outing
The date for the 2012 event will be May 5th.  Bob Hagin has been appointed the Procurement Czar.  He will follow up on contacts for donations made at the Indiana on the Fly Expo.  Those contacts are as follows:

  • Beau Beasley donated a book he authored titled Fly Fishing the Mid-Atlantic
  • Great Lakes Fly Fishing Co donated a book titled The Valley of Light
  • Guide Josh Lantz will donate a Trophy Largemouth trip for two.
  • Old AuSable Fly Shop may donate a stay at their apartment in Grayling among other things.
  • Wildcat Outfitters will donate misc. items
  • Simms will donate hats and a jacket.
  • Riverview Lodge and Cabins will donate a weekday stay on the AuSable (includes Monday thru Thursday, excludes trout opener, Memorial Day, July 4th and Labor Day)
  • TFO Rods – John Bueter will make us a deal on TFO rods that are being replaced by new series.  Mike bought their TCIR rods at 70% off retail, of which he has 10 rods.  The deal was that we had to take all 10 rods.  A couple of the rods are specialty rods.
  • Headline Speaker for our Spring Outing – Anne Miller on entomology – Her new book (Hatch Guide for Midwest Streams) should be available and she will do a book signing as well as a 45 minute program.
Habitat Access Maintenance (HAM)
The smoked hams have been delivered to the landowners.

Brown Trout Stocking Program
Mike will contact the Crystal Springs Hatchery.  They do their testing in January and the results go in with their permit application.

Three Rivers Fly Fishers
Mike will be putting on a program for Three Rivers Fly Fishers on February 16th.

Youth Fishing
Neil Ledet contacted us about partnering with the IDNR for a youth fishing event.  He can hold back approximately 200 trout and is suggesting they release them in the pond at Riverbend Park for a youth fishing day.  Discussion centered around the fact that the trout cannot survive the summer water temperature in that pond.  An alternative suggestion was the Mill pond at Bonneyville, which is fed by the Little Elkhart.

Middlebury Riverfest
Wayne Andrews and Leonard Gustin have volunteered to be on the Middlebury Park Riverfest committee this year.  First meeting is in February.

Other
Mike was contacted by Peter Mahlock of Ft. Wayne about contributions from us in order to raise money for IDNR.  The event is scheduled for April 14th.  We will decline participation as this is a very busy time for our club with all the commitments and activities we have planned.

New Business
Don Fiwek suggested closing the account we have at Middlebury State Bank as the location is too inconvenient for him.

Don also reported that we are required to have a separate account for our raffle.  This is a requirement for our gaming license.

Don also stated that he has a time-share for May 18 – 25.  The property is about 35 miles North of Traverse City and he will have a bedroom open for anyone who wants to use it.  The fee would be $75 for the week.

Summer Vacation – It was decided that we will not have a July meeting this year.  It was also decided that we will again have a cookout for our June meeting.

LECTU Decal – We will look at getting LECTU decals made.  Lee will check prices with Hoogie’s Sport Shop.

Next Meeting – February 8, 2012 at 7:00 PM at the Middlebury Library.
Lee Troyer – Secretary